Sonntag, 1. Mai 2016

Chocolate layered cake






It is sunday and we all know what that means: CHEAT DAY!!!!! After you've swallowed your cravings and pretended like everything was okay you DESERVE THAT TREAT. What's a world without chocolate cake, after all?
I took to Pinterest once again and selected a recipe that I'd wanted to try or modify. And I found this gorgeous recipe about a one bowl chocolate cake.
The original recipe is from Minimalist Baker, which I love.

For this cake you will need:

2 cups  flour
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt



1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk (I used soy milk, the recipe suggests almond milk)
2 tsp white or apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 cups applesauce
1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
2/3 cup canola oil
2 tsp vanilla extract


Even though the original recipe is a "one bowl" recipe I decided to whisk together dry and wet ingredients separately. That has always proven to work for me. I mixed the wet and dry ingredients as the very last step and went very easy on the whisking. You might know that vegan recipes should never be whisked too much because it turns the batter very heavy for some reason. So after some mild whisking I poured the batter into a 9 inch round baking pan, set the oven to 180°C and let it bake for an hour. If you fear your cake might turn out too brown you can put tin foil on top of it to stop the cake from getting too brown.

In the meantime I prepared the chocolate frosting which contains:



1 cup soft vegan butter (I use Alsan which is the best vegan butter EVER)
2 1/2 - 3 cups icing sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup dark chocolate (dairy-free, obv.), melted
2 TSP vanilla extract
3 TBSP almond milk





After the frosting was settled and the cake had cooled completely I divided the cake into to by slicing through the middle (you can do this with a sharp and long knife or using thread). I put some frosting in the middle of one of the two cake pieces, spread it slightly and put the other half on top of it. Lastly, I went and covered the whole thing in frosting and topped it with some chocolate shavings which are really easy to make. Jamie Oliver once made a video teaching everyone how to make them. Bless him.


And that is it! A delicious chocolate cake, the perfect little cheat on a lazy sunday.
You deserve that treat. Eat that cake.

The frosting used on this cake is by far my favourite chocolate buttercream frosting. It doesn't taste too much like butter because of the real chocolate in there. My mouth is watering just from thinking about that divine cake.

See you next week!

xx
-L



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen